Friday, January 24, 2014



                                To Pre- Wash  or Not - that is the question!
 


I used to be a “throw it in the washer after the quilt is done and bound gal” – UNTIL.  I made an adorable Eat Cake Graphics quilt called Furry Sweetness. The pattern can be found here-
I finally got it done, threw it in the washer and when it came out I realized I had used a hand dyed brown in one of the kitties that I had not pre washed and it bled. Not bad, mind you, but enough for me to notice. And every time I look at that quilt my eye goes right to that spot. Of course no one else even notices- but I see it.

So after that little adventure I became a pre washer. Usually I just throw my yardage in the washer with some Synthropol. I then fold it in a neat little pile until I decide to use it for something.  Usually it sits on top of the dryer J. This actually drives me batty because on the VERY rare occasion I am actually pulling crap out of the dryer I usually end up grabbing fabric along with my clothes to put away. Guess I better check my undies drawer for that missing fat quarter I lost last week!

Then another issue arrives when I use precuts- whether it is strips, charm packs, layer cakes, etc. I feel pretty comfortable knowing these probably won’t bleed. And I do wash the finished item with a dye magnet. But- if I am doing a table runner sometimes I don’t want that crinkled look of the quilt when the fabric has not been pre washed.

I have also been told that before fabric is shipped from overseas that the container is sprayed with stuff to keep the fabric from getting buggy on the journey.  I have not had any physical problems with the chemicals on the fabric from the spraying (that I know of) but I would guess it could certainly bother some people.  This was told to me a few years ago so things may have changed since then, but since I am out of the loop now (meaning not going to quilt market L) I cannot confirm this.

I do spray starch my fabric right before I am going to use it-and I am not stingy! This helps get the feel of the fabric back to when it came off of the bolt. This also helps the fabric behave, in my opinion. And since I tend not be a gentle person with my fabric this is my saving grace. I should have bought stock in starch years ago. I did not even know what starch was before I started quilting. I just use the cheapest stuff I can get. I love the different smells of Mary Ellen’s Best Press but it is a tad too pricey for this starch whore.
 



Funny story about the above shirt-

One of my quilting buddies uses more starch than anyone I know.  Her quilts always come out perfect and beautiful. She is the one who got me so hooked on starch. Every fall a few of us quilting junkies go to a quilt retreat at a dude ranch where I used to work. We decided a few years ago we needed to have shirts made each year for our little group. One of my other quilting buddies is an amazing graphic designer and came up with this t shirt design.  We all got a good laugh out of it- and the poor wranglers that had to serve us at dinner and put up with all of our naughtiness got a kick out of the shirts as well. (They also looked at us funny when we were discussing the giant beaver on the wall while having our wine and beergaritas at dinner- you had to be there). I believe they all got good tips that year!
Anyway- do you pre wash?  If you do- why or why not?  I would love to hear your thoughts!
Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment