Monday, January 20, 2014


                           THE FEATHERWEIGHT

I have received several inquiries on the blue Featherweight Singer sewing machine that is seen on the set of my Craftsy on-line Luminous Lonestar class. It is in mint condition and of a color not seen on any other. Well, here’s the story:

You can imagine my surprise and joy that wintry Christmas morning when I awoke to find a Featherweight sewing machine under the Christmas tree. My wonderful, adorable, handsome husband was as equally surprised to find that he had bought me such a wonderful and thoughtful gift. Bless his heart!

As with most quilters, I am in love with featherweights. I have heard so many stories about how perfect they were for taking to a class or quilting retreat because they were so portable. I have also heard how they make such a perfect ¼” seam allowance. When we are driving around my wonderful, adorable, handsome husband always stops by antique shops and he keeps his eye out for that very recognizable case. We have found many, but all were totally out of my price range – remember I am cheap! He bought me quite a few toy sewing machines to keep me happy in the interim. That will be the topic of another post one of these days.

The machine was complete with case, foot pedal, and bunches of attachments. The machine had been well taken care of, but it was also well used, with dings and scratches, and much of the detailing had long since worn away. Nonetheless, I was thrilled with this delightful gift from my husband. (Teehee!)

Did you know you can get on the Internet, and by using your Featherweight’s serial number, you can find when and where your machine was born? While doing this research, I also found a place where I could order all of the stenciling, scrolls, scrawls, and emblems that are found on originals.

Later that night, after I had finished properly thanking my husband for such a thoughtful gift as only a wife or hooker can, I woke him up and mentioned finding the decal place. Again, Mr. Wonderful surprised me with an even better idea!

The next day he called an acquaintance who owns an auto body repair shop. He asked if they would consider doing a body job on a sewing machine. After Mike, the owner, determined that my husband was neither drunk nor on drugs, he told him, sure, to bring the machine in and he would take a look at it.

So off we went to Karas Auto Body. Mike examined the little machine and said he was sure he could get it looking as good as new. After some back and forth with myself, I asked if we could do a color something other than black. “Of course we can,” Mike said. “What color would you like?”

Now I had no idea that there were so many colors and shades to choose from. And not just the typical blacks, whites, reds, green, silver and blues that you see on the cars that you flip off while driving on the Interstate. I must have looked at thousands of colors, shades, tints and hues. There must be as many colors for cars as there are colors of threads! And that is in the tens of thousands of thread colors. I know, I have all of them.

After much deliberation and arguing with myself I decided on a color. I asked my husband his opinion and he appropriately answered that it looks great, which is the same answer he always gives when I ask him if a particular dress makes my ass look big. And so, my machine would become the only Bimini Blue Featherweight in existence.

I told Mike that I would go ahead and order the decals. And after a little more discussion, I managed to talk Mike out of the racing stripes and flames that he wanted to add and he set out disassembling the Featherweight.

Several weeks later, I picked up the wonderful Bimini Blue Featherweight that you see in the Craftsy class. Now you know the rest of the story about my Bimini Blue featherweight.


 
 

Then, I made a quilt for a wonderful friend and she gave me this little lovely as a thank you. This one runs even better than the blue one- I just love it! It didn’t come with a power cord but I can use the same cord from my other one- that works out great! It saved me from having to buy another cord. The beauty about these little machines is lack of computer stuff, so taking them apart is not too scary. I got my trusty manual out, took the machine apart, oiled it where it needed to be oiled and even put a new belt on it. I am not going to touch this one with paint- it is beautiful the way it is. This color is pretty rare. I am so grateful to Sharyl for giving me this one. She rocks!

 
 
I wish I had room to keep them all set up and just turn my chair around and sew on whichever one I am in the mood to use. Someday when I kick my son’s butt out I will have the space. Until then I am forced to just have one machine set up at a time, but I am lucky to be able to that! God love my family- they don’t ever complain about not having a dining room table, or a dining room at all- as it is my sewing area. My iron is set up all of the time- and I love it. It does force me to keep the sewing area neat- neater than when I had a room with a door that would close. I was a whole lot messier then!

If you have a Featherweight and a favorite color all you have to do is contact Mike Karas at Karas Auto Body in Thornton, Colorado. Mike can turn your Featherweight into a one of a kind machine, one that will make you the envy of everyone in your quilt guild. You can call Mike at 303-287-2273. Or better yet, e-mail him a picture of your machine at info@karasautobody.com Tell him that you were referred by Courtenay, the sewing machine lady, also known as the lady with the 2003 Pontiac Sunfire that he recently repaired. (But that is a whole ‘nother story!) A word of caution though, he will want to put racing stripes and flames on your Featherweight making it look more like a NASCAR racing machine than a sewing machine. You might have to rein him in a little bit.

Well, that is my Featherweight story- do you have a Featherweight and/or a Featherweight story?

Finally, if you are interested in my Luminous Lonestar on line quilting class, you can find it at www.craftsy.com/ext/lonestar25. Use this code for a discounted price!!

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment