Wednesday, April 30, 2014





                                                                                RECYCLED
 
   I finally dove into my pile of cut up jeans, got out my design wall and started the jean quilt. I have to say it took less time to piece and quilt it than it did to cut the damn jeans up! I decided not to put a batting inside- it is going to a house in Louisiana and I figure warmth is not an issue there!  The jeans and the brushed cotton backing would be plenty to keep the recipient warm if needed!
   I am very pleased with how it turned out. Usually when I am done with a quilt I wish I had done at least 1 thing differently- I did not find anything I disliked about this one.
    I was fretting over how I wanted to quilt it- I was leery of all of those heavy seams where the blocks meet. I was bitching about it on my way to Zumba one evening with my Zumba partner in crime and fabulous long armer Eileen. She suggested an idea. In much nicer language she said screw the straight line quilting idea and do wavy lines instead right down the middle of the blocks. There is a reason why we all love her and why her quilts are all fabulous! That was the perfect solution. I did not break one needle the whole way through, either! Here is a pic of the finished quilt-

 



And here is the fabric I used for the backing. Mr. World Traveler went to Scotland last year (among many other fabulous locations)and I thought this brushed cotton looked Scottish to me. But what do I know?


And here is a close up of the quilting. I used a YLI on the top and a 40wt Signature thread in the bobbin. I also used a 100/16 Jeans needle in at all times. Worked perfectly!

 


The good news is I have plenty of squares left to make both kids a jean quilt too. But I hope they are not holding their breath when they will get theirs. Maybe Christmas? 2018??

 

Sew on my friends!!

1 comment:

  1. Could you teach this as a class on Craftsy?

    ReplyDelete