Thursday, April 10, 2014


                                                                  A day of fun-

A few Saturdays ago I had the pleasure of hanging out with some of my favorite people!  I have known some of them for many years-others not so long- but it seems as if we have known each other forever! Since I just got back from the Big Easy I felt like I shouldn’t ask for more time off, so I missed out on a lot of this retreat. I was able to join them all day Saturday for a day filled with food, sewing and of course laughs!
My friend Terry drove us up there-with a stop at Subway J so we had something for lunch.




After another stop for a breakfast burrito at Café Mexico, we arrived at this lovely place- The Quinberry Lodge in Black Hawk, Colorado.
 
This is their website-

http://www.quinberrylodge.com/

What great accommodations for quilters- everyone had their own 5 ft table, super comfy chairs and their own sewing light.
 
I was working on this lovely quilt-Gardner's Alphabet by Crabapple Hill.

 My great friend Lexie, a gifted graphic artist, colored the whole alphabet in for me! I do not like to color at all, and was bitching about it at one retreat. Then, Lexie tells me how much she LOVES to color- God love her. I went home, traced all of the blocks in 2 days, got carpal tunnel J, then handed the blocks and crayons off to her. I had them back in a few weeks! I am not nearly as far along as I should be, but I am making a little progress!

 

Terry was working on this adorable hedgehog runner- pattern is by Bunny Hill-

 
Susie was working on this beautiful quilt top from a pattern by Karen Stone- not for the faint at heart-

 
Randi was quilting this cute tractor quilt-

 
Val was trimming up this wonderful floral braid- it has so many beautiful fabrics in it-

 
Roxanne was finishing projects like a mad woman-the first one is from the Little Red Button Company, the second is a table runner, and she had another  runner she was busy quilting!



Eileen had a baby quilt top all done by the time I arrived, then she shared these 2 paper pieced blocks she finished. She can almost see the light at the end of this paper pieced tunnel-

 
Rae was using the new magazine by The Missouri Star Quilt Company to make this purple beauty-

 
Several of the girls went home and bought the magazine after seeing it. There are great patterns and no advertisements! It’s a beauty! You can find it here-
Yes, I have already ordered my copy! It is more like a book, not a magazine. It is very well done!

My camera wasn't holding a charge very well, so I failed to get pictures of the projects that Jan, Judy, Chris, Michelle and Cheryl were working on. They were very busy as well!

The lovely ladies had us eat with them at lunch. Michelle and Cheryl made wonderful pulled pork, so we had sandwiches, chips and peach and apple pie and homemade ice cream for dessert.  Now, I love my Subway but it did not even come close to that! Thank you Michelle and Cheryl!
Terry and I wanted to get down the mountain before it got dark, so we had to leave before dinner and before the beergaritas were made L. But we stopped and had the most fantastic fried oysters at Yorkshire Fish & Chips in north Denver. I have blogged about them before, but Terry had never been. I think she was pleased! There wasn’t an oyster left on either of our plates!
 
 
Sunday my poor hubby was under the weather, so that kept us home. I finished up a few birthday presents and started cutting up all of the jeans I have for a quilt top for a friends’ son for college graduation. I am only half way through the pile of jeans and had to stop twice to give my back a break. I also actually sucked it up and replace my rotary blade half way through cutting - that made a big difference.  I am hoping I will have enough parts to make several quilts when I am done cutting. I cut the jeans into 6-1/2” squares, 2-1/2” x 6-1/2” strips to make rail fence blocks, and then 2-1/2” squares to make 9 patches. It seems like that is a fairly good use of the jeans. I do have some waste, but since I didn’t pay for them I don’t feel too badly about tossing some scraps out! Here is my pile of jeans so far-
 
I hope everyone has a great week- spring is coming- I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment