Thursday, May 8, 2014


                            The wheels on the car go round and round…..

I am fortunate enough to have a hubby that supports my addiction/hobby. Whenever we decide to go on a ride, he always asks if there are any quilt shops we need to hit. What a guy, I know. A lot of our rides end up heading towards Rocky Mountain National Park- and why not? Elk, deer, big horn sheep and even an occasional moose are there for the peeking!
On our way up to the park we sometimes go through Lyons, Colorado. That poor town was devastated by flooding last fall. The quilt shop made it out ok, but plenty of other businesses and homes did not. It is nice going through town now and seeing the re-building of the town and businesses. A few weeks ago we stopped at Lyons Quilting quilt shop. WOW! What a wonderful shop!




 
Their address is 260 E Main St., Lyons, Colorado.
First off, their door knob is an iron, which made me giggle on the way in. Somehow right away I found the clearance area- I have a nose for sales, you know. I found quite a bit of fabric that was marked at less than $7 a yard! I remembered I had a Halloween quilt made out of my favorite fabric- The Ghastlies- by Alexander Henry and it needed a back. Lo and behold- they had Ghastlies fabric on sale!!! WHOOO HOOO! They only had 4 yards left and that was not quite enough, so I bought some black fabric to help make the back big enough. No problem!


I ventured on into the next room and they had a ton of batiks- my eyes went bonkers! All the colors you can imagine! And on top of the batik racks they had packages of Quilter’s Dream batting in all sizes and lofts. It is one of my favorite battings to use and sometimes not easy to find.
I then wandered on into the other part of the store-fabrics were arranged very nicely by color.  A feast for the eyes! As I came around the corner, the last area of the store was filled up with juvenile prints- flannels and cottons. There was also a notion rack by the cutting table I had to look at. I always need to make sure there isn’t a notion or 6 that I don’t already have!

 

They also have a wonderful frequent buyer awards program. They keep track of all of your purchases and when you fill the card you get a percentage off of your purchase. The owner of the shop had purchased the inventory from another quilt shop in town that was closing, and she brought all of the buyer cards with her, which I thought was very sweet. A lot of new shop owners would not have honored the shoppers from the previous shop, but she did! It is the little things that make shops work.
There were lovely quilts on the wall, and they are having classes at the shop as well.
I encourage everyone who is traveling near Lyons to stop in and say hello! Tell them Courtenay sent you! You won’t be disappointed!


Travel on my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Courtenay for the wonderful words! I am so glad you enjoyed it here at Lyons Quilting!
    Sincerely,
    Tracey Barber (owner)

    ReplyDelete