Wednesday, February 5, 2014

                                     Half Square Triangle Mania!

Well, now that I am done with my Swoon quilt I can move on to other things. In this quilt pattern there were quite a few flying geese blocks. Usually when I trim away the corners I just whack them off with a scissors. But, in this case, I actually used my rotary cutter so all of my trimmings were consistent. I then sewed them all up and made a big pile of half square triangles.




 

They all had to be squared up, so I got out my favorite squaring-up tools.



 
 My Brooklyn revolver mat- you can find one of those here:
and my bloc-loc ruler. You can find those here:
The rulers come in all sizes. They have a groove on the backside so the ruler nestles beautifully in the seam allowance which makes trimming a breeze. Nothing moves! I have several- and have used every one! They now have flying geese rulers as well. I have had my eye on them for a while. Maybe one of these days!


 
So- what am I going to make with all of these half square triangles? Camille at Simplify has a great half square triangle sheet showing several layouts. You can find that here-
 I decided to make a small wallhanging/table topper. I used every single one of my leftover half square triangles! I can’t wait to start quilting this. I so enjoy working on smaller pieces as it is easier for me to practice my machine quilting on the smaller size quilts. I may use a variegated thread in the border- what do you think?
 
 
Sew on!
Courtenay

No comments:

Post a Comment